Sunday Services at 10 a.m.
When the fever of the Gold Rush hit the West in the late 1800´s, villages and towns sprang up over night, and Kaslo was one of those towns. A young Presbyterian minister from St Thomas, Ontario heard about this, and his congregation at Knox Presbyterian sponsored him to come to Kaslo and start a church. His name was Rev. Martin, and he immediately got to work meeting the people and recruiting volunteers to build a church. He also developed his own mining claim, to help finance the project, and would visit all the hotels in the evening talking to the miners and inviting them to Sunday worship in the little one room school. He was very successful with recruiting helpers and donated materials to start the building of a church, and by 1893 Robertson Presbyterian was a rough functioning building holding regular church services.
In 1894 when the devastating fire destroyed much of the village, followed by the great flood a month later, the church building was used as a sanctuary for those in need of shelter.
The congregation grew and more finishing was completed in the church. Beautiful pews were purchased and are still in use today. It was also deemed important to install a bell in the Belfry, as a call to worship on Sundays, and also as an early warning signal if there should ever be another disaster like that of 1894.
In 1900, the congregation changed their name to St Andrew´s Presbyterian, and other improvements were made to the building along with the purchase of the Estee organ, which was paid for fully by the Uphill and Downhill sewing circles, the Ladies Aid, the Sabbath school and the Spinners Society.
In 1925, with the union of Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregational Churches, the church´s name became St Andrew´s United.
The years 1925-1930 were the depression years. Many mines closed and times were tough. In 1942, during the war years, over 1000 Japanese-Canadians relocated in Kaslo and the church thrived, sharing the building with the Japanese-Canadian evacuees and the Reverends Shimuzu, and H.J Armitage. The building once again became a place of sanctuary.
Although 118 years have passed since the church was built in 1893, the role of St Andrew´s continues to evolve and the building remains a resource that provides a safe, welcoming space for many community activities and a valuable legacy from the past.
Sunday services at 9 a.m.
The first service of the Church of England was held in Kaslo on May 30, 1892 by Reverend A. J. Reid. Reverend Reid continued to conduct services wherever possible in Ainsworth, Kaslo and other small settlements until a permanent church was built on land granted by the Kaslo Municipal Council. The first service was held in the newly completed church on Sunday, November 10, 1895. A vicarage was added to the church in 1899 and pews installed in 1901.
Reverend H. B. took over the mission in Kaslo in February of 1899. Although later promoted to Archdeacon of Kootenay, Rev. Beer and his wife continued to reside in Kaslo until his retirement 30 years later. Two beautiful stained glass windows were installed in 1938 in memory of the couple.
On July 19, 1910, a joint funeral service was held for 5 miners who died in a fire at the Lucky Jim Mine at Retallack. A sixth miner died a week later. A beautifully carved font, still in use today, was donated to the church in their memory.
In July of 1934, the parish of S. Mary Stafford in England donated $500.00 to cover the purchase price of a missionary boat for use on Kootenay Lake. The boat, named the S. Mary Stafford in honour of the donors, enabled the resident priest to visit and conduct services in the out-lying districts of Johnson´s Landing, Argenta and the Lardeau Valley.
During the severe winter of 1944, the roof of the church was in imminent danger of collapse from the weight of accumulated snow. Duplicate rafters were quickly installed along with two iron rods that ran through the walls of the church and the collapse was averted.
Through the years, the Church Committee and the Ministry Support Team have faithfully kept the church in repair, taken care of the grounds, looked after the finances and served members of the congregation in many capacities.
For 111 consecutive years, St. Mark´s has served an important role in the community of Kaslo.
Sunday Mass at 3:00 p.m.
Sacred Heart Church in Kaslo was one of the early missions established by the Oblates before 1900. The first Catholic Chapel in Kaslo was constructed in Upper Kaslo in 1893. This was replaced in 1902 by the present church that sits opposite the Post Office. Some of the descendants of the early pioneers who made up the original parish are members of the current congregation.
In 1939, The Redemptorist Fathers were officially given charge of the Kaslo and Proctor missions and in 1940 Father Joe Boyle was appointed to Nelson and given care of Kaslo, Procter, Sandon and Ainsworth. Father Boyle was in and out of the parish for the over 50 years of his priesthood and celebrated his 50th Anniversary Mass in Kaslo. His kindness and understanding endeared him to the entire community of Kaslo.
It was Father Boyle who started the Catholic Women´s League in 1949. This has since become the Alter Society. This group continues to coordinate a number of fundraising activities to help support the church.
The current parish council insures that members are informed of parish activities through a monthly bulletin and although numbers are small, the parish spirit in Kaslo remains high.
Sunday Services at 11 a.m.
Sunday School at 10 a.m. (September through May)
Good News Club (ages 5 - 12) - Tuesdays from 3 - 4:30 p.m.
Bible Study and Prayer Meetings - Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
Village Missions helps struggling rural churches in Canada by placing full-time missionary pastors in rural communities to help build effective Bible churches that reach their communities for Christ.
The objective is to reach the entire community; therefore, denominational issues are avoided. The missionary/pastor is a spiritual leader, providing opportunity for all to hear and respond to the Gospel.
Kaslo Christian Assembly – 447 A Ave
Kaslo Christian Assembly was birthed as a house church in 2009. Relatively speaking, we are the new kids on the block. We have been an independent Church but are thrilled to be in the process of joining Calvary Chapel Association of Churches.
Our congregation has a passion to know God in our daily lives. The character of our congregation is summed up in 1 Tim 1:5, “But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.” The goal is to love God first and foremost – for it is He who first loved us – and then, overflowing from that, to love people. We are encouraged through expository teaching of the Bible which leads to greater dependence on the Holy Spirit in our lives.
We have Sunday morning services at 10 AM in the Langham Cultural Society's theatre (447 A Avenue) as well as mid-week Bible studies, Thursdays at 6:30 PM (423 7th Street).
Feel free to join us, or to contact Pastor Glen at 250-353-7111 if you have any questions.